Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist (PCH)The Program
Managing or working with a nursery, landscape or garden center business requires in-depth knowledge of plant growth and maintenance, landscape design and installation and retail operations. The Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist (PCH) program is a formal way for the landscape or nursery professional to test this knowledge and gain professional credibility. An 80% or above must be attained in each of the four sections of the competitive test. Those that reach this goal are then designated as a PCH.
Objectives of the PCH Program
- To recognize and raise the professional standards of the industry
- To encourage self-assessment by offering guidelines for achievement
- To identify persons with acceptable knowledge of principles and practices of the profession
- To recognize those who have demonstrated a high level of competence in the profession
- To improve the performance within the profession by encouraging participation in a continuing program of professional development
- Validates an individual's industry knowledge
- Instills pride and confidence in the individual
- Demonstrates a commitment to the profession
- Enhances employability within the industry
- Provides the firm with a marketing tool
- Enhances the firms professional image
- Increases customer recognition and respect
- Provides an effective tool for employee motivation
Those individuals who achieve the PCH status receive materials to assist them in the promotion of their prestigious achievement. These materials include:
- Lapel pin
- Personalized certificate and plaque
- PCH Identification Card
- Consumer brochures (PLNA's "Insist On the Best" consumer campaign)
- Listing in PLNA's Annual Membership Directory & Resource Guide
- Recognition in Pennsylvania Landscape and Nursery magazine green industry magazine
- Recognition on PLNA.com and PLNA's consumer Web site OutdoorLivingPA.com
PLNA offers reciprocity with many other green industry state associations and certifications. Please contact Cathy Corrigan, Certification Administrator at ccorrigan@PLNA.com or 800.898.3411, ext. 102 to find out more details on the reciprocity policies.
PCH Exam Information
PCH Program Fact Sheet
Fall 2012 Exam Schedule
Exam Sample Questions
Study Manual Order Form
There are approximately 300 Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturists (PCHs) in the Penn-Atlantic region and the number continues to grow.
For more information on the PCH program, contact PLNA at 800.898.3411 or email us.