It's All About You
Wednesday, August 12, 2015
Posted by: Cathy Corrigan
Many times we belong to organizations because of what they do; provide a special program or offer a discounted rate. But do you know why they do what they do? What inspires these programs? Is it really for your benefit or for the bottom line?
Recently the board of directors was challenged to create a new mission statement for the Association. The purpose of this statement is to provide the inspiration for all of our programs – what we do. During the exercise they were asked to focus on the WHY – why PLNA does what it does. They all knew what PLNA does and how PLNA does it, but did they know the why. When the process was all said and done, there were three major words that stood above the rest outlining the underlying why behind PLNA’s programs: community, knowledge and values.
Accordingly, the mission statement built itself – To strengthen the landscape and nursery industry by building community, expanding knowledge, and protecting values.
The board and staff have put together a plan to support this mission statement. In every program, it’s all about you; strengthening your industry, building your knowledge base in horticulture and in business, educating the consumer about you and protecting your industry’s values when it comes to regulatory and compliance issues.
• Increase the PLNA member community and enhance the relationships between fellow members
• Educate consumers on the benefits, services and professionalism of the green industry
• Provide the Pennsylvania green industry with certifications that are used as a standard base of knowledge
• Partner on educational programs to ensure consistent, current and relevant information is available to the industry
• Keep member community informed on current and pertinent information that relates to green industry business operations
• Monitor legislative and regulatory issues affecting the green industry to protect industry values
The mission will be accomplished through the following programs and services:
Member Community recruitment/retention – PLNA MeetUps, Member Recognition/Award programs
Consumer Awareness – OutdoorLivingPA.com, Plant Something
Professional Development & Certification programs – Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist (PCH), Sustainable Landscaped Certified (SLC), Educational Partnerships
Government Relations – Lobbying, Advocacy and Government Agency Relations
Communications – e-News, Website, Newsletter, Social Media
Business Resources – cost saving and educational product partnerships
Wholesale Buyers Guides – industry specific online buyer’s reference guides for landscape contractors and retail garden centers
Some of these programs are already established and others are new to PLNA. Over the next few months we are going to introduce and, in some cases, re-introduce you to each of these programs. We want you to be inspired to get involved in your association. After all, it’s all about you.